Under the Scheme, 'Tracing the Roots' run by The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, PIOs who intend to trace their roots in India can apply in a prescribed form through the Indian Mission/Post in the country of their residence. They would be required to submit the application form with the concerned Indian Mission/Post located in the country of their residence along with a fee. All useful information/documents that could be of help in tracing the roots may be submitted along with the application.
1. The programme was designed by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA); to assist Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) in tracing their roots.
2. Persons of Indian Origin desirous of tracing their roots in India would be required to fill up the prescribed application form and submit it with all useful information/documents that could be of help in tracing the roots along with the application.
3. The details of roots in India (where traceable) i.e. name of close surviving relative(s), details of the place of origin of their forefathers (paternal and maternal side) and a possible family tree will be made available to the applicant at the earliest.
4. The information collected, including details of family tree, would then be sent to the concerned Indian Mission/Post at the earliest for onward transmission to the applicant.
5. In case of any doubt about the genuineness of the ‘roots’, the decision of the Ministry, taken in consultation with the applicant and concerned authorities involved in tracing the particular roots, will be final and binding.
N. B. The programme provides for gathering information relating to the ancestors of the applicant and does not have any provision or arrangement for the visit by the applicant to his/her ancestral place(s). In case the applicant wishes to visit these places, the Ministry/organisation/firm concerned would facilitate such visits at the applicant’s cost.
Click Here for the Application Form